Discover CasDelta SkyMiles is a loyalty program designed to reward Delta Air Lines customers with a range of exclusive offers and offers. Customers can earn SkyMiles in a variety of ways and use them to buy tickets, upgrades or market merchandise.
Signing up for the Delta SkyMiles program is easy and you can start earning miles today. In this guide, you’ll learn how to join the SkyMiles program, which airline credit cards to earn SkyMiles, and how to maximize your miles with Delta Air Lines.
How to Sign Up for Delta’s SkyMiles Program
Joining the Delta SkyMiles program is free. To join the SkyMiles loyalty program, simply complete and submit the Delta Online Membership Form. This requires you to enter basic contact information and create a SkyMiles account.
Once you join the program, you can start earning Delta SkyMiles. You also get access to exclusive offers and Clear Preferred Pricing.
How to Earn Delta SkyMiles
Earn miles on Delta flights
To earn miles on Delta Air Lines flights, you must be enrolled in the Delta SkyMiles program. After joining, you will receive a SkyMiles number. You must enter your SkyMiles number every time you book a flight to earn miles. If you’ve already booked a trip, you can enter your SkyMiles number later on the My Trips tab on the Delta website.
Earn 5x miles for every $1 you spend on Delta-sold tickets. For partner flights, you can earn miles at different prices. You can increase the number of miles you earn by earning Medallion status, earning up to 11x more miles per dollar spent. Additionally, starting January 1, 2022, there is no limit to the number of miles you can earn on a ticket. Previously, you could only earn up to 75,000 miles per ticket.
Earn miles with your Delta SkyMiles credit or debit card
With the Delta Air Lines credit card, you can earn miles on everyday purchases. There are currently four Delta American Express Spending Cards, all of which offer rewards programs and bonus miles for new card members:
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card: Earn 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $500 within your first three months of membership. You can also earn Double Miles on restaurants around the world (including U.S. takeout and delivery), Double Miles on Delta purchases, and Double Miles on all other purchases.
- Delta SkyMiles American Express Gold: Earn 40,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 in your first three months of membership. You can also earn Double Miles on restaurants around the world (including U.S. takeout and delivery), Double Miles on Delta and U.S. supermarket purchases, and Single Miles on all other purchases.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card: Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $2,000 in the first three months of membership. You can also earn 3X Miles on Delta flights, Delta Vacations shopping and direct hotel purchases; 2X Miles on restaurants and US supermarkets (including takeout and delivery in the US); and 1X Miles on all other purchases.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card: Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) when you spend $3,000 in the first three months of membership. You can also earn 3X miles on Delta flights and Delta Vacations and 1X miles on all other purchases.
You can also earn Delta SkyMiles with your debit card:
Delta SkyMiles Debit Card: Earn 5,000 bonus miles on your first qualifying purchase, plus 1X miles for every $2 you spend. The Delta SkyMiles debit card is available for Truist Dimension, Truist Wealth and Wealth Management checking accounts. There’s also a small business version, the Delta SkyMiles® Business Debit Card.
Earn miles with other rewards programs
Another way to earn Delta SkyMiles is to convert points from other loyalty programs to Delta SkyMiles. The two main ways to do this are:
- American Express: Use any eligible American Express credit card to earn and convert Membership Rewards points into the Delta SkyMiles program. Typically, 1,000 Membership Rewards points equals 1,000 Delta SkyMiles.
- Diners Club International: Earn 1X Club Rewards Points for every $1 you spend on your Diners Club Card. Club Rewards points are then converted to the Delta SkyMiles program approximately 1:1.
Earn miles with partner airlines
Delta has more than 20 airline partners where you can earn miles. However, Delta’s main partner airlines include:
- Air France
- East China
- Korean Air
- latin american airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia (until 12 June 2022)
Each airline has different reward and redemption rules. Visit the Delta website to learn more about how partner airlines work with Delta’s SkyMiles program.
Earn miles with other travel partners
In addition to airline partners, Delta has many cruise, hotel and car rental partners through which you can earn SkyMiles. It also offers vacation packages where you can earn extra miles.
Delta offers one-stop vacation packages that include top hotels and exclusive experiences around the world. In addition to airline miles, you can earn award miles for each vacation package in the following ways:
- Up to $4,999: Earn 1,000 bonus miles
- $5,000 to $9,999: Earn 2,000 bonus miles
- $10,000 or more: Earn 5,000 bonus miles
Plus, when you pay with your Delta Air Lines credit card, you can earn 2 to 3 miles per dollar spent.
SkyMiles cruises allow you to earn SkyMiles on your next cruise. Earn a minimum of 1,500 miles per booking and a maximum of 30,000 miles when booking a balcony or suite cabin.
Plus, the SkyMiles cruise website often offers limited-time offers and cruise line deals, so be sure to check out the latest promotions. For example, book a vacation of at least 13 nights through SkyMiles and earn 10,000 bonus miles.
You can earn extra miles by booking with the following hotel groups:
- Airbnb: Earn 1X Miles per USD on Eligible Stays
- Marriott Bonvoy: Earn 1-2x miles per $1 on eligible charges
- IHG Rewards Club: Earn 1-2x Miles per $1 on Eligible Charges
- Radisson Rewards: Convert Radisson Rewards 10:1
- Le Club Accor Hotels: Earn 2.5 to 12.5 miles per €10 at eligible hotels
- World of Hyatt: Earn 500 miles per qualifying stay
- Langham Hospitality Group: Earn up to 500 miles per night (up to 1,500 miles) or up to 250 miles per night (up to 750 miles) at eligible hotels
- Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts: Earn 500 Miles per Eligible Stay or Convert 1:1 Shangri-La Golden Circle Points to SkyMiles
WorldHotels: Earn 500 miles per qualifying stay
However, it is important to note that each chain has different terms and conditions, so please check each policy beforehand.
You can also earn SkyMiles when you use the following travel and car rental companies:
Hertz: Regular members earn at least 500 miles per qualifying rental. Medallion Members can earn up to 1,250 base miles per qualifying rental
- Dollar Car Rental: Earn 500 miles on every qualifying rental
- Thrifty Car Rental: Earn 500 miles per qualifying rental
- Alamo: Earn 500 miles on every qualifying rental
- Businesses: Earn 500 miles per qualifying rental
- National: Earn 500 miles per qualifying rental
- Lyft: Earn at least 1X miles per dollar
- Turo: Earn 2,000 miles on your first trip and 500 miles on each subsequent trip
- Europcar: Earn 60 miles a day
- Carmel: Earn 2X Miles plus 100 Bonus Miles for online bookings over $100, 1X Miles for online bookings under $100
- Sixt Rent a Car: Earn 500 miles per qualifying rental.
As with Delta hotel partners, be sure to review each rental partner’s individual policy for terms and additional revenue opportunities.
Delta SkyMiles Medallion Program
Medallion status provides additional opportunities for SkyMiles members. The Medallion Program benefits you receive depend on your tier. The Medallion Program has four tiers: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond.
The first tier is called Silver Medallion and unlocks unlimited free upgrades, priority boarding, free baggage fees and unlimited rollover MQM. You’ll also earn 7x miles per dollar spent instead of the standard 5x miles per dollar.
In addition to Silver membership benefits and free upgrades, you’ll also receive Hertz car rental benefits, Clear membership rates, a three-month free trial of Instacart Express and access to the full suite of Sky Priority services. The suite offers priority access through security, priority check-in and expedited baggage benefits. Earn 8x miles per dollar spent.
Platinum Locket Pendant
With the Platinum card, you get all the benefits of previous tiers, plus customizable select benefits. Select benefits allows you to select additional benefits from a list of options. For example, you can earn 20,000 bonus miles, gift Silver Status to a friend or family member, or receive a $200 Delta Travel Certificate. At this level, you earn 9x miles for every $1 you spend.
Diamond Locket Pendant
The Diamond Medallion is the highest Medallion tier and offers all the benefits of previous tiers plus higher priority bookings, upgrades and boarding; free Clear membership; and additional select benefit options such as Delta Sky Club membership , 25,000 bonus miles, and more. At this level, you earn 11x miles for every dollar you spend.
How much is the Delta SkyMiles program worth?
The value of the Delta SkyMiles program is difficult to determine because Delta does not have a fixed reward schedule. Instead, miles are dynamically priced. The number of miles required to purchase a flight depends on the time of year, distance and airline. According to The Points Guy, SkyMiles are worth about 1.41 cents each.
The best way to see how much your score is worth is to watch a test flight. When you search for a test flight, you’ll see the price and the number of SkyMiles required for that flight. If you don’t have enough air miles, you can check the miles plus the dollar amount and pay the difference.
How to Redeem Delta SkyMiles
How to redeem a ticket
It’s easy to redeem Delta SkyMiles when you want to buy a ticket. When you book with Delta, you can choose to pay with SkyMiles, cash, or both.
- Select Reservation on Delta.com or the Fly Delta mobile app. Enter your travel information. Then select the “Shop with Miles” option on Delta.com or “View Prices with Miles” if using the Delta app.
- Search for flights. You’ll see the price in miles. Choose your flight and use miles to complete your purchase. If you don’t have enough miles to pay for your ticket, you can switch from “price in miles” to “price in miles + cash”.
Delta Air Lines Transit Partners
You can redeem SkyMiles on partner flights, giving you more flexibility when purchasing your next flight. Partners you can book through Delta.com include:
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air France
- China Eastern
- Cape Air
- China Airlines
- China Southern
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Korean Air
- Mandarin Airlines
- LATAM Airlines
- Middle East Airlines
- Shanghai Airlines
- Saudia Airlines
- Tarom Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin Australia
- Virgin Atlantic
- Xiamen Airlines.
For award travel on Air Europa, Air Tahiti, Czech Airlines and Kenya Airways, please contact Delta Reservations.
Finally, Medallion members or Delta SkyMiles credit card members living in Japan can redeem miles for select Skymark flights. Be sure to read the terms and conditions and check Skymark’s flight schedule before booking.
Other exchange methods
You can use SkyMiles for more flights. SkyMiles can also be used to:
- Upgrade your seat
- Buy premium drinks
- Purchase products and services through the Delta Reservations Center
- Buy Sky Club membership
- Donate miles through Delta’s SkyWish program
- Give away miles
- Buy a gift card or magazine
- Shopping at the SkyMiles Marketplace
- Bid on events for exclusive opportunities such as VIP passes, classes and backstage access with the SkyMiles experience
Will the Delta SkyMiles program expire?
The Delta SkyMiles program does not expire as long as the account is active and in good standing. This means that if the account is closed or deactivated, the miles will expire. Delta may disable accounts in the event of fraudulent activity or member violations of Delta’s policies and program rules.
The Best Credit Cards to Earn Delta SkyMiles
Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card: Best annual fee waived
Delta SkyMiles Blue Amex is a great option if you don’t travel a lot, enjoy flying with Delta and want to start joining the SkyMiles program. The card has no annual fee, no international transaction fee, 20% off in-flight purchases, and 10,000 bonus miles for every $500 spent in the first three months of membership. Plus, earn Double Miles per dollar on Delta shopping and dining (including U.S. takeout and delivery) worldwide, and Double Miles per dollar on all other purchases.
Delta SkyMiles American Express Gold: Great Value
With Delta SkyMiles Gold Amex, you get rewards and benefits that go far beyond the cost of membership. The card has an annual fee of $99, but the annual fee is waived for the first year. Plus, the Welcome Offer requirements are easy to meet – you’ll earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 in the first three months.
In terms of rewards, you’ll earn Double Miles on U.S. supermarkets and restaurants (including U.S. takeout and delivery), Double Miles on Delta purchases, and only Double Miles on all other purchases. Additional benefits include $100 Delta Points after $10,000 in purchases per year, 20% off in-flight purchases, free ShopRunner membership, free checked bags on Delta flights, luggage insurance, rental loss and damage insurance, extended warranty coverage and purchase protection.
Delta SkyMiles American Express Card: Best for Delta Loyalists
If you’re a Delta loyalist looking for luxury travel benefits, consider using the Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card. While the card has a whopping $550 annual fee, frequent travelers should be able to recoup the cost with the perks and perks on offer.
At launch, the card will offer a welcome bonus of 50,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs after spending $3,000 in the first three months, which should be achievable for high earners. You can also earn 3 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases.
Other notable benefits include Medallion Status Enhancement, Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver, Complimentary Delta Sky and Centurion Lounge Access, Annual Travel Records (up to $75 value, conditions apply), Complimentary Checked Baggage, Higher Priority Upgrades, Free Upgrades, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck Credit Up to $100, 20% Refund on In-Flight Purchases, Trip Delay and Cancellation Insurance, Baggage Insurance, Rental Car Loss and Damage Insurance, Returns And purchase protection, premium warranty coverage, and no overseas transaction fees.
If you’re a loyal Delta traveler, you can earn frequent flyer miles in a number of ways through the Delta SkyMiles program or the American Express Delta Credit Card. Plus, once you reach Elite Medallion status, the program’s true potential is unlocked, including luxury travel benefits and higher reward rates.
Dynamic pricing systems and limited redemption options outside of fares may be limited if you want to transfer miles directly to a partner program. However, more than 1,000 destinations in Delta’s SkyTeam network have no blackout dates, which means there are more flights to get you where you want to go. Just be sure to thoroughly compare the Delta SkyMiles program with universal travel credit cards, airline credit cards, and other airline loyalty programs to find the travel card and program that best suits your needs.
Delta Skymiles® Reserve American Express Card Review – See more.
AmEx focuses on customer experience with new checking account and redesigned application